Thursday 1 October 2020

Meet The Ref - Latics v Doncaster Rovers

Latics face high flying Doncaster Rovers at the DW Stadium on Saturday, the ‘man in the middle’ is East Yorkshire based ref Carl Boyeson who will be in charge of his first Latics game for 3 years.

 


The 49 year old’s last Latics game, ironically enough, was at the DW Stadium in a League 1 encounter with Doncaster Rovers back on 21st November 2017, the score that day, 3-0 to the Latics.

 

Boyeson began refereeing at the age of 22 when his best mate gave him some sound advice, Boyeson says - ‘He told me that I was never going to be a pro footballer so why not referee pro football instead.

 

“So that’s what I set out to do. I’ve been on the National List of referees since 2002 .”

 

Having been on the Football League list for the past two decades, Boyeson recently completed a milestone in his refereeing career, having officiated in over 500 EFL games, speaking about this achievement he commented – “Looking back it seems unreal that I have covered this amount of EFL games as a Referee and I'm going into my 18th season in the middle.

 

“Obviously, I am proud to have reached this milestone and now I will push on to 550 games and beyond. In total I have covered 567 games including FA Cup, EFL Cup and EFL Trophy, also not forgetting I was an Assistant Referee for 6 years on both The EFL and FA Premier League and these games are not included in these totals.” 

 

So far this campaign Carl Boyeson has taken charge of three games, the EFL Cup tie between Oldham and Carlisle, Football League Trophy game between Sunderland and Aston Villa U21s and the League 2 clash between Tranmere and Cheltenham.

 

Carl Boyeson Card Watch 2020/21

Games – 3

Yellows – 11

Reds – 0

 

Wigan Athletic v Doncaster Rovers
Referee-
Carl Boyeson
Assistants – Mark Cunliffe & Richard Woodward
Fourth Official - Conor Brown

 


No comments:

Post a Comment