Friday 13 August 2021

Wigan Athletic - Home Is Where The Love Is

Saturday the 7th March 2020, Luton Town at the DW Stadium, then onto the Wigan Beer Festival at Robin Park Arena, that was the plan. 

 


Goalless at the DW, though Michael Jacobs did have a late chance, but was thwarted by the Luton keeper, pretty mundane game to be honest, the Beer Festival was ok, but I don’t remember too much about it. 

 

If I only knew then that would be the last time I saw the Latics in action, live in the stadium, for 18 months and one week, I would have savoured every second of that day. 

 

Like most, I took my football club for granted, I took life for granted, foolish on both fronts. I won’t rake over the administration period, we all felt that, desperate times.  

 

I have lost family members – my dad, an aunty and an uncle – I have lost a very close friend, plus numerous acquaintances, I suspect most people reading this will have also lost loved ones in the time that we have been away from football. If nothing else I have learned to cherish time spent with people close to my heart. 

 

The Latics are a such a big part of my life and I am not ashamed to admit that during the lockdown periods it has been torturous not being able to attend the games. The game day rituals, we all have them, wearing the same clothes for matches until we lose, walking the same route to the stadium, a pie for dinner, getting to the ground at the same time each game, for me its 30 mins prior to kick off, just to take in what’s happening around the stadium, chat to a few familiar faces, I know who they are but not their names, all this is back on for tomorrow and I can’t wait. 

 

Saturday, I am full of anticipation and excitement, just like I have been ahead of the first home game of a season all down the years, but thinking ahead to the game tomorrow there is another emotion that is riding high, pride, I am so proud of our club, proud of how we the supporters and the town rallied around to keep the club afloat, proud of the people who fought for the best deal for the club when potential buyers were coming forward and stood up against those that weren’t the best, the Supporters Club, Jonathan Jackson, Lisa Nandy, all worked so hard behind the scenes, I’m proud of our manager, Leam Richardson, dignified, hardworking, a true leader, proud of the staff that worked with him under such difficult circumstances, the players who came in and those that stepped up. So very proud that we have a football club, one that I will never take for granted again. 

 

Walking into the stadium tomorrow will be special, I’ll dance up the stairs to the concourse, then up the steps to ES7, where I will undoubtedly pause and take a look around, we’re back, amongst friends and ready to take on the world once more, a deep breath to fill my lungs with Latics air, onto my seat and ready to roar the lads on. 

 

A cheer and a wave to our new owner Abdulrahman Al-Jasmi and our very popular chairman Talal Al Hammad, then, when at 3pm, referee Rob Lewis blows his whistle all the anguish, dread and uncertainty will be completely vanquished by the sound of a bouncing DW Stadium as we commence our home campaign. 

 

Home is where the love is and it is going to be lovely to be home.

 

Whatever the outcome of this season, I for one am going to enjoy every game.

 

Up the tics!    


No comments:

Post a Comment