Thursday 4 February 2021

Meet The Ref - Latics v Wimbledon

We’re back at the DW Stadium on Saturday, fellow strugglers AFC Wimbledon will be in town for a genuine six-pointer, the man charged with keeping peace on the field of play is Sunderland official, Andy Haines.

 

Andy Haines

The 56 year old first got into refereeing when he lived in London, he was secretary for a seven-a-side league which struggled to recruit enough referees, he was bemoaning this fact to a friend who said ‘Then why don’t you get yourself a whistle’ came the blunt retort. ‘Me and my big mouth’ Andy says, ‘But that’s what I did.’

 

Haines progressed his refereeing career through the Spartan, South Midlands and Southern leagues and then, on moving to Sunderland in 2000, the Wearside and Northern leagues. The EDF project manager finally became a Football League referee in 2005

 

‘When I was in London, I just did it for the enjoyment’ Haines says. ‘I had no idea how to get up the ladder, how to get promoted. I never had any dizzy expectations. It was only when I’d moved to the North-East that I suddenly realised where I could get to.

 

‘Everyone has their own style but I always try to referee with a smile on my face. Hopefully, after 90 minutes, it’s still there. OK, perhaps not after every game!’

 

When asked about his ambitions Haines says – ‘I’d love to referee at Wembley, that would have to be the highlight of most referees’ careers

 

‘Maybe for a play-off final, any FA final would do me actually. To officiate at the national stadium, that’s really something to go for.’

 

Andy Haines has refereed the Latics on three occasions:

 

Competition

Date

Result

League One

03 Oct 2015

Latics 0:0 Walsall

League One

09 Dec 2017

Latics 2:0 Fleetwood Town

EFL Trophy

22 Sep 2020

Latics 6:1 Liverpool U23

 

Andy Haines Card Watch 2020/21  

Games – 20

Yellows – 48

Reds – 3

Penalties Awarded – 4

 

Andy Haines’ last game in charge was the League 2 fixture Tranmere Rovers 3:2 Harrogate Town on 26 January. In this game Haines issued 4 yellow cards, a red card and awarded a penalty.


Wigan Athletic v AFC Wimbledon
Referee –
Andy Haines
Assistants – Alan Clayton & Joe Simpson
Fourth Official – David Hunt

 

No comments:

Post a Comment