Wednesday 23 September 2020

Meet The Ref - Pompey v Latics

 

 
Antony Coggins

Latics travel down to the south coast on Saturday looking to pick up their first points of the season as the take on Portsmouth at Fratton Park in the 3rd League 1 fixture of this campaign.

 

The referee for the game is Bicester official, Antony Coggins, who will be taking charge of his first ever Latics match.

 

The 30 year old is relatively new to ‘big time’ refing, having only been appointed to the National List back in the 2017/18 season, though, as previously said, he hasn’t ref’d a Latics game he has been in charge of three Pompey matches, all at Fratton Park, two wins and a draw.

 

Coggins has had one Championship game, Swansea v Barnsley (0-0) last December, all the rest have been at either League 1 or 2 level.

 

Having started refereeing when he was 13, Coggins quickly progressed and a year later he had qualified as one of the youngest officials in the country.

 

"When I first started off I did it for the money, because it was better than doing a paper round" Coggins said.

 

"My dad needed a referee for the under 11 leagues that he ran. I did a couple of games and someone said 'why not get on a course' and it started from there."

 

The future? Coggins says "Some people say 'I want to referee the World Cup finals', but my ambition is to focus on doing my best at each level.

 

"I just do the games that I'm told to. I'm just one ref of many."

 

So far this season Antony Coggins has been in charge of Plymouth 3:2 QPR in the EFL Cup round 1 and the opening day League 1 encounter at Roots Hall, Southend United 0:4 Harrogate Town

 

Antony Coggins Card Watch 2020/21

Games – 2

Yellows – 4

Reds - 0

 

Portsmouth v Wigan Athletic     
Referee -
Antony Coggins
Assistants – Chris Kidd and Simon Shaw
Fourth Official - Mike Begley


No comments:

Post a Comment