Friday 19 June 2020

Behind Closed Doors



Tomorrow sees the resumption of Championship football for the Latics with a trip to Huddersfield.

 

Whether there is a genuine appetite to get the season finished, or clubs are being dragged back against their will, is open to debate.

 

Professional football played behind closed doors, to myself at least, is a poor imitation of the sport that has filled our lives with so much emotion, joy and desperation, over the years, the sport that we have come to love, to share in the journey’s across the seasons, personally, by being there, singing, chanting, shouting and yes even booing at times, this is what makes it our national sport, what garners such raw passion and connects us to ‘our’ team and gives football its soul.

 

Come 3pm on Saturday 20 June I fear I’m about to witness soulless football. Granted I haven’t watched any of the games that have already been aired, so I am speaking from a purely preconceived point of view, but the sooner we can safely get supporters back inside grounds, the better.

 

I do agree that the season needs to be concluded before we move forward, but I’m not convinced playing behind closed doors is best for the game, just my opinion though, what are your thoughts?

 

Why not write your feelings in the comments section below

No comments:

Post a Comment