Wednesday 15 August 2018

Meet The Ref - Latics v Forest


Latics take on Nottingham Forest this Saturday at the DW Stadium, the man in charge of proceedings is 36 year old Sunderland referee, Geoff Eltringham.


Eltringham has refereed a Latics v Forest game before, he took charge of our 2nd round Capital One Cup tie at the City Ground back in 2012/13 season.


Last season he only officiated one game which we were involved in, the 2-2 draw away at Blackburn.

Getting To Know You
Below is an interview with Geoff Eltringham by the Sunderland Referees Association, giving us a little insight into Saturdays whistle blower:

How where you introduced into refereeing?
After finishing playing school football, I didn’t think I would be good enough to make the step up and play at a decent standard, so I therefore chose to go down the refereeing route. I took my course at Ryhope Cricket Club under the leadership of Dave Binsley.


What has been the highlight of your career so far and why?
Lots of highlights such as officiating at Wembley, but promotion to the national list of referees was my overall highlight.


A target of mine when I first started refereeing was to be involved in Football League Football to some degree, so when I achieved it, it was very special.

I believe it is the low points that happen during your career, and how you deal and overcome them showing strength of character that ultimately makes you a stronger and better referee. Every referee will encounter low points from time to time.

What is the biggest game you have officiated and why?
My biggest game to date would be refereeing Nottingham Forest v Leicester City 2011/12, it was FA Cup 3rd round which gave the game a special feel. The game finished 0-0 with no major talking points which I was happy with.


What are your aims and ambitions as a referee?
My aim is to firstly retain my position then establish myself on the National List, which I feel after 3 seasons I’m starting to achieve.

My main ambition now is to referee at the highest level which would be the Premier League.

What/Who has been the biggest influence on your career and why?
Lots of people have had a big influence on my career, Malcolm Langley offered me the best piece of advice to ditch my beloved Sunderland season ticket, gutted at the time but I think it was the right choice!! At grassroots level I had good mentors in Ron Bates and Dick Madden. I have also worked with some great coaches on my way up the refereeing ladder including Phil Prosser, Matt Mattias and Alan Kaye, I’m currently working with Alan Wiley and Gary Willard who have been a great help with my development.


In your opinion who is/was the best referee?The best I’ve worked with are both current in Michael Oliver & Mark Clattenburg, but the referee who I used to look out for and admire was Paul Durkin, I thought he was a class act, maybe because we are similar heights!!!!
Interesting stuff

Geoff Eltringham Card Watch 2018/19

Games – 2
Yellows – 6
Reds – 0

Wigan Athletic v Nottingham Forest

Referee - GEOFF ELTRINGHAM
Assistants - Billy Smallwood and Matt Foley
Fourth Official - Thomas Bramall


No comments:

Post a Comment